PICKLED RED ONION

12.7.15



Excuse my absence but I have been enjoying my summer with a lot of outdoor activity, trips to the west, cooking and general relaxation. Speaking of cooking this is one of the things I have been trying out - pickling. Thought I'd give it a go and I am very pleased with the results. Good on burgers, in salads and anything you fancy. 


What you need to pickle red onions:
A jar that is large enough to hold the amount you're making, red onions - I used small red onions as they taste a little sweeter, red wine vinegar, pepper corns, bay leaf, pinch of sugar. 


What one must to do pickle red onions:
In a sauce pan heat the red wine vinegar, pepper corns, one bay leaf and a pinch of sugar until the sugar has dissolved. While that is coming to a boil cut down the red onions in thin slices and place into a jar in whatever size that fits the amount you're making. Pour the vinegar mixture into the jar, keeping the pepper corns and bay leaf in, and let it cool down. Once cooled close the jar and keep in the refrigerator. It can be stored for quite a while but I somewhere read that the onion is best after two days in storage. 

No Comments

Post a Comment

OBLIVIATE © 2017
Template by Blogs & Lattes